Why a European Climate Pact?
The European Union is determined to lead in all aspects of climate and environmental action. The climate crisis is not a future problem - humans have already altered the Earth's climate.
The Climate Pact provides a space for cooperation against climate change and environmental degradation, where one can seize the opportunities that decisive action and sustainable lifestyles may bring.
Increasing our efforts
Climate change is happening here and now. Droughts, forest fires, rising sea levels, land degradation and massive flooding already impact us.
Years after the Paris Agreement on climate change and the 2030 Agenda, we have not acted fast enough to avoid irreversible and catastrophic consequences.
Science tells us that we need to act urgently. To do so, we must increase our efforts to reshape the way we interact with nature, protect people from climate and environmental risks, and guarantee a healthy and prosperous planet for ourselves and those who come after us.
Working together to tackle climate change and environmental degradation
- Involve citizens and stakeholders while facilitating a sizeable participation.
- Support the governance and implementation of the Pact.
- Welcoming Climate Pact Ambassadors from diverse backgrounds and professions.
- Transforming scientifically-accurate information into alternatives for action.
- Promote a climate culture and integrate climate solutions into educational programmes.
- Debunking climate myths and countering climate change denial.
- Encourage online and in-person meetings and events.
- Take advatange of and support existing initiatives.
Big and small solutions that result in a positive change
The success of the Climate Pact will depend on the amount of commitments and ambassadors. More importantly, its success will be reflected in the level of acceptance or demand for climate and environmental initiatives across society.
The Commission will hold an annual event to evaluate the progress so far and promote ideas, measures and solutions.
In other words
The Climate Pact will bring together those who want to act for the good of our planet. We want to help every citizen in Europe take action in their daily lives, give them the opportunity to participate in the ecological transition and to be inspired. In the fight against climate change, anyone can take meaningful action.
European Commission Vice-President in charge of the European Green Pact
The Climate Pact will bring regions, local communities, civil society, industry and schools together. They will all design a set of committments - against which they will be held accountable - to enavt change from an individual to a nultinational level.
Ursula Von der Leyen
President of the European Commission
CLIMATE PACT AMBASSADORS
European Climate Pact Ambassadors are a group of people from different backgrounds and nationalities committed to climate action.
Anyone can be a candidate.
- They establish contacts with people and organisations not yet involved in climate action.
- They spread, inspire and support climate action in their communities and networks.
- They lead by example in climate action and environmental protection.
- They act as a bridge between civil society, stakeholders and the European Commission.
Become an ambassador
- Fill in the online application form by clicking on the button.
- The European Commission confirms the successful candidates.
- You receive your title for a year (with the possibility of extension).
- You start taking action to protect our planet!